ONLINE PHD IN MICROBIOLOGY
PhD Microbiology is the 3-5 years long doctorate course that aims to provide eligible candidates with research training in various topics of Microbiology. This course basically deals with an advanced study of microorganisms which are microscopic, unicellular and cell-cluster organisms.
In order to be eligible for the PhD Microbiology course, candidates must hold a Postgraduate degree in the relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% marks. Many colleges demand for an experience of the five years or more in the field of Microbiology. The admission to PhD Microbiology course is generally based on the marks scored by students in Entrance Exams. But, there are few colleges that grant On merit-based admissions also. Some of the most popular PhD Microbiology entrance exams are as GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc.
The average annual program fee for the PhD Microbiology courses in India ranges between INR 2,000 and INR 8,00,000, depending on the university offering the program.
After completing this course, candidates will be able to find jobs in Food Industry, Development Laboratories, Colleges and Universities as Technical specialists, Medical Technologists, Laboratory Scientists, lecturers and numerous others.
Why Study PhD Microbiology
There are many benefits of pursuing the PhD Microbiology course. Some of them are:
- On completion of this course, candidates easily get high-paid jobs such as Laboratory Scientist, Lecturer, and Technical Specialist in the govt. or private laboratories.
- If you are interested in research in the field of microorganisms and biology, then you should definitely look forward to pursuing this course.
- This sector involves a large number of research activities in the field of Microbiology. So, if you are curious and are always ready to discover something new, this course never disappoints you.
- Candidates can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as Colleges, Universities, Food Industry, and Development Laboratories etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered with an average salary of INR 8-16 lakh per annum.
PhD Microbiology Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who wish to pursue PhD Microbiology course are required to the following the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- The students must hold a postgraduate degree from a recognized university.
- The students must score an aggregate of at least 55% marks (50% for candidates belonging to SC/ ST category) in the post-graduation.
- They also must hold an experience of at least 5 years in the teaching/ industry or administrative etc.
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
PhD Microbiology Admission Process
Most of the colleges and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to PhD in Microbiology course. Top PhD colleges such as BHU etc. offer admission through the entrances like UGC NET, CSIR (JRF), GATE etc.
The steps of the Entrance-Based Admission are provided below:
- Online Registration: Candidates are required to register for the entrance test through the official website of the conducting body.
- Filling up of application form: After creating the login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details.
- Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as the photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates etc.
- Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, students have to save and download the form for future references.
- Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible candidates
- Declaration of Result: After the entrance exam, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have to be appeared for.
- Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for the further admission rounds such as the group discussion and personal interview.
Merit-Based Admission – There are some universities as well that offer admission to PhD Microbiology courses based on the applicant's performance in the postgraduate examination followed by the Group Discussion and Interview.